How do I take care of my new tattoo?
For those of you who haven't been tattooed by me, I suggest following the instructions given to you by your tattooist. We all use different antiseptics, pigments and the like so whatever the artist tells you, DO IT! If you can't remember, can't get a hold of them or don't like them just make sure your tattoo is kept clean and out of the sun and water!
For those of you that get tattooed by me, or want to, here are my aftercare instructions:
1. Leave your bandage on for 2 hours. NO LONGER!
2. When you remove your bandage, wash your tattoo with anti-bacterial soap and warm water. Make sure ALL ointment is removed from your tattoo immediately. Wash gently and don't scrub your new tattoo.
3. Pat tattoo dry with a clean paper towel. Let air dry for a minute or two.
4. Apply a SMALL amount of lotion or aftercare ointment given to you to your tattoo making sure it absorbs fully. Your tattoo should not feel wet or sticky. Stay away from aloe vera, "ultra healing", lanolin and anything that smells pretty. DO NOT use a & d ointment, neosporin or vaseline! Read this blog post for good after care products.
5. Repeat this 3-4 times a day. A clean tattoo will heal quickly and without scabbing. (light peeling and flaking of the tattoo is normal)
6. Avoid clothing that will irritate your tattoo.
7. Do not go swimming, hot tubbing or tanning for the first two weeks.
8. Do not pick or scratch your tattoo! If it itches, wash your hands and put lotion on it.
9. Do not re-bandage your tattoo